Friday, March 10, 2023

Playing -

 
 
With the Hearts
 
For my Memory Quilt
 
I was asked how big they are - 
 
And they measure 4-1/4" tall x 5-1/4" across - 
 
 
So they would fit diagonally on a 6" square - 

 
Or "straight" on a 6" square -
Which cuts it close on the sides - 

 
Or three in a column 6" x 12" -
Which also needs room for seam allowances - 

 
Or four in a circle on a 10" square -
Which should be 11" or 12" -
For seam allowances all around - 

 
These three are on a 9" x 12" - 
 
And gave me an idea of how they might look on a "light neutral" - 

 
But then I found these 1/4 yd cuts - batiks - in my stash - 

 
And these tone-on-tone 1/4 yd cuts - 

 
The first four Hearts with the batiks - 

 
And with the tone-on-tone fabrics - 

 
I like the tone-on-tone fabrics the best-
 
And I like that with SO many different colors in the various Hearts
 
The first four look good on the DARK RED - 

 
Or the BRIGHT GREEN - 

 
I think it would be easier to applique the Hearts in a column - 
 
Than it would be to sew them in circle without looking "crooked" - 
 
And - 
 
If I lay them out in a column - 
 
I can fit 11 on one 1/4 yd strip - 

 
Or -
 
For variety - 
 
I could split the 1/4 yd strip in half - get two pieces of each color - 
 
Mix them up a little around the quilt - 
 
And have 5 Hearts on each half - 
 

Oh - the possibilities!! - 

But I like where this is going - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I like it too! And yes it is easier than putting them in a circle.

Katie said...

I like those bright backgrounds! So long as the hearts all contain different colors from the background, I think that will work nicely. And I like the columns, too. It seems a very efficient way of getting them all together. A bit unexpected, but I like unexpected!

Jeanna said...

You have lots of options! I'm happy to see you are beginning to put these hearts into a quilt. Its going to be amazing.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think they would look great randomly scattered on a pieced background, kind of like a big gust of wind pushed them. The batiks are lovely, but will they compete with all the color lusciousness of the hearts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...