Saturday, March 11, 2023

Possibilities -

 

Today I played with more possibilities - 
 
For my Hearts and my Memory Quilt
 
I could/should have put these up on my design wall - 
 
But it was easier to lay them out - 
 
On the insert tables on my quilt frame - 
 
So I tried a "log cabin" type layout - 

 
And a circular one with them pointing toward the center - 
 
 
And another circular one with the second "round" pointing out -
 
I still think that a circle might be harder to keep "straight" - 
 
 
So I'm back to lining them up in columns - 
 
I laid these out in groups of six -
 
On a folded over 1/4 yd cut -

And they look a little "crowded" -
 
 
And - math-wise - it's easier to sort them in "fives" - 
 
 
Each 1/4 yd cut will hold ten Hearts
 
Either all on the same strip - 
 
Or I could cut the strips in half and put five on each part - 
 
And mix them up a little - 
 
 
I brought back the batiks to join the party - 
 
And to give me a little more variety in background choices - 
 

Now I want to figure out the best way to "label" them - 

Maybe insert a printed piece with the names of the quilts - 
 
And maybe include the dates - 
 
But I need something that wouldn't take up too much space -
 
Or this will be HUGE - 
 
Right now I think it will come out to about 60" x 80" - 
 
Which is the same size as my Upstairs/Downstairs quilts -
 
So I could put the list on the back - 
 
That might work -

And - one other thing -

I re-found the video with something that I want to try -
 
A "Quilt-as-you-go method" - HERE -  
 
So there are a bunch of possibilities -
 
And I'm having FUN checking them out - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I think doing them on the strips in fives will work nicely.
I looked at that quilt as you go method. It seems that once you get it larger it would become quite cumbersome to work on. For a smaller quilt it would be fine - and a good way to use up smaller pieces/strips of batting.

Katie said...

Strips of 5 look the best to me from here, too! Embroidering the quilt names would be cool and you could kinda wrap them around the heart, but with that many...ugh! Maybe you could print on the fabric?

Kara Kwilts said...

Hey, I really enjoy reading your blog everyday, thank you for writing. :) There is another lady that lives in Canada that has a really interesting method of quilt as you go. You can read about it on her blog, The Quilting Edge, she no longer posts there, but she is active on Instagram - her handle there is Mariquilts. :) Kara

Jeanna said...

I like the strips of 5 but I'm sure it will be great, whatever layout your decide.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...