Monday, July 3, 2023

Quilted -

 
 
My Batik - 16-Patch - Kiwiberry is quilted -
 
YAY!! -  


 

Sorry about the suspense in my last post - 
But I thought I would try an orange peel "petal" in each square - 
Then I tried to work out the stitching "map" in my head -
And didn't get very far - 
 
I needed to "sketch it out" on paper first - 
So yesterday morning I worked up an EQ version and printed it out - 
 
I didn't really want to use a ruler to get the curves "just right" -
And would rather do it "free-hand" - 
But it was a "bit much" - 
 
When I mapped it out - 
Each square got two passes on one diagonal -
Both of them curved - 
 
Trying to keep that "uniform" without a ruler would have been a challenge - 
 
Wanda suggested a wavy crosshatch -
That would still be two passes in each square -
But it would be faster and more "forgiving" - 
 
I wouldn't have to worry about which direction the "petal" was going -
And if I missed something - it would have been easy to get "back on track" - 
 
She also suggested doing all one direction first -
Then turning the quilt a quarter turn to do the other direction - 
But I didn't want to do that - I'd need zippers on all four sides -
 
I wanted to do 4 (2") patches diagonally before I changed direction -
Since the 8" block fits nicely in my "workspace" - 
And tried to map that out - 
 
Then I remembered Vicki Welch had a tutorial -

And her diagrams had the "path" already mapped out - YAY!! - 

So that's what I did - 

 



There is a LOT of room for improvement - 
 
But it was GREAT practice - 

And a design that I will DEFINITELY use again - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I can only see what is in the photos but it looks pretty darn good to me.

Vicki has some nice tutorials about many different things.

Katie said...

Perfect! I think the wavy crosshatch is even better a choice than the arcs, but until you said it, I never thought of it. Hooray for a finish and hooray for practice. The next one will be better, right?!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks great! I remembered Vicki had a post about doing it without turning the quilt. My wavy crosshatch goes down the length of the squares instead of diagonal. Both ways look nice and are fairly fast.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great finish! Isn't wonderful how blog friends can help lift the load and point the way when you need it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...